Kerala Mutton Curry / Spicy Mutton Curry.
Mutton Curry is one of the most famous traditional dishes in Kerala. Simple, delicious and spicy, this dish will go with almost any meal.
Ingredient of Aattirachi Curry:
Mutton – 1 kg
Potatoes, (peeled, medium sized) – 2 nos.
Shallots (chopped) – 10 – 15 nos.
Tomatoes (medium sized, blended to a puree) – 2 nos.
Green Chilly (split lengthwise) –
Red chilly powder – 2 tsp.
Coriander powder – 2 tsp.
Homemade Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp.
Ginger (crushed) – 1 ” piece
Garlic (chopped) – 2 pods
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tbsp. (adjust as per your taste)
Curry Leaves – 2 sprigs
Water – 1 cup (or as consistency required)
Chilly Powder – 2 tsp.
Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp.
Yogurt – 2 tbsp.
Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tbsp.
Garam Masala – 1 tsp.
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tsp.
Cinnamon – 2″
Cloves – 4 nos.
Cardamom – 2 nos.
Star Anise – 2 nos.
Bay Leaves – 2 nos.
Pepper corns – 4 nos.
Fennel Seeds – ¼ tsp.
How to Make Nadan Mutton Curry:
Wash and drain mutton. Microwave potatoes for 10 minutes and keep it aside. Take a medium sized mixing bowl and add wash and drained mutton.
Put in all the ingredients given under the section, ‘For Marinade’. Add mutton and mix well to coat evenly. Cover the bowl and keep it in the refrigerator to marinate for minimum one hour.
After one hour, take the mutton from the fridge and put it in to a pressure cooker. Add 1 cup of water to this. Close the cooker and pressure cook mutton on high heat for one or two whistles after it comes to full pressure. Reduce the flame to simmer and cook for ten minutes or till tender. Switch off the stove. When the pressure is fully released open the lid and keep it aside.
Heat oil in a wide pan and add all spices. Fry for a minute. Then add Onion, green chilly, curry leaves. Sauté until onions turn translucent. Now add the remaining ginger-garlic paste and sauté well. Add Tomato puree and mix well till it cooks. Add salt now and mix it well. Now reduce the flame and add chilly powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder. Saute well till you get a nice aroma or till oil starts to separate from the masala mix. Add ¾ th cooked mutton in this and mix it well. Lower the heat and cook till the mutton becomes soft and tender.
Do the taste test and if required add little more salt. Serve hot with rice or chappathi..
If you are looking for more mutton recipes, please check out Mutton Bhuna Gosht, Rajasthani Laal Mass, Hyderabadi Daal Gosht, Mutto Pepper Fry..
My Recipe Notes on Kerala Style Nadan Mutton Curry:
1. It is important to remove the fat content in mutton.
2. Overnight marinating in refrigerator makes it juicier. I did it for 1 hour and not overnight.
3. Adding yogurt in the marinade is good because the enzymes in the yogurt penetrate the mutton which makes the meat tenderer and soften.
4. You can pressure cook mutton separately (which makes it soft and tender), and then cook the rest of the things in a pan to retain the shape of the potatoes and tomatoes.
5. Mutton usually takes more time to cook than chicken, but be careful, 2 full whistles is enough in the pressure cooker and then let the pressure goes by itself.
6. You can also use the same recipe for lamb.
7. Instead of tomatoes you can use yogurt and use it along with other ingredients to marinate mutton.
8. This curry tastes better the next day.
9. Using water while pressure cooking mutton should be very careful. It of course depends on the quantity of mutton. I have used just 1 cup of water. Mutton oozes out enough water for the curry. Add more than one cup only if you want the curry little watery. In that case adjust the spices accordingly.
Happy Cooking.. Cheers.. Seena.
Please Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel, ‘Seenas Food Basket’.
To get all the latest updates, connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. It will keep us motivated.
You have an option to add your Comment on our website. Just go to the recipe page and scroll down. You can see the space provided there to comment. Pls. add your feedback there both, positive and negative.
Hope you liked our Recipes with its step by step explanation and the ‘TIPS’ and ‘RECIPE NOTES’. Pls. support us by SHARING it and clicking on the ‘LIKE’ button of our Facebook Page, so that you will get our latest recipes on your news feed without missing them.
Try out this and let us know what you think.. We love to see your creations. So, when you try out this recipe, take a picture and email it to email@example.com.
കേരള മട്ടൺ കറി റെസിപ്പി.
Learn how to make easy and simple Kerala Style Nadan Mutton Curry with step by step pictures. Mutton curry goes well with Chapathi, roti, pathiri and rice. It is a very popular non vegetarian side dish of Kerala cuisine.