Kerala Mutton Pepper Fry Recipe / Mutton Fry / Mutton Pepper Fry Recipe / Kerala Mutton Roast / Mutton Chukka Recipe / Christmas and New Year Special Mutton Fry Recipe / Mutton Sukka / Sukke / Attirachi Varattiyathu / Christmas Special Kerala Mutton Roast Recipe / Spicy Mutton Fry / Mutton Ularthiyathu
Sukka means any dry fry. It is a simple recipe of fried mutton with spices. The marinated mutton is first pressure cooked and then stir fried in Coconut Oil with onions, essential spices and a flavorful ground masala.
Adding Curry Leaves, Shallots and Coconut Oil gives the dish its authentic taste. Curry Leaves should be really fresh. The end result would be so tender and juicy that it will melt in your mouth. This goes well with any rice varieties.
Once you develop the taste for it, it can be the most comforting mutton dish ever. Have it as a starter or as a part of the main course. You can serve this as an appetizer too, with a cup of Grape Wine or Rice wine. This is similar to Nadan Beef Ularthiyathu and Kerala Beef Capsicum Roast.
This dish has vibrant flavour. You would love the spicy heat of black pepper, Reji would die for it.. When it comes to cooking, it’s adding a bunch of Black Pepepr for him.. He’s crazy about it. Simmering this mutton dry roast will fill your kitchen with a nice aroma and that would definitely invite your family members for a salt check.. hehe… you can imagine what would happen the next..
This non-vegetarian side-dish goes well with steamed hot rice and ghee and little salt. Or, is best with Ghee Rice / Ney Choru.
The most common Breakfast items on Christmas, New Year and Easter days are Palappam or Appam, Vellayappam or Kallappam, Homemade Bread and Stews on Christmas and Easter days. Also the unavoidable aromatic Christmas Fruit Cake or Plum Cake and any one wine, especially Homemade Grape Wine. The other wines you can make for a change for this Christmas are Rice Wine and Rose Apple Wine.
There are a bunch of Christmas Recipes in this blog, Food Basket. Click Here for getting so many non-veg gravies. Also inorder to get non vegetarian menu for this Christmas and New Year, Click Here.
Here goes the recipe of Mutton Fry
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Calories: 235 / 100 grams
Ingredients for Kerala Mutton Dry Fry:
Mutton (I have taken boneless) – 1 kg
Shallots (or small red onion, sliced) – 1 ½ cups
Green Chilli (slit) – 2
Homemade Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tbsp.
Cinnamaon – 1 ? piece
Gardamom – 4
Cloves – 4
Black pepper corns (crushed) – 1 ½ tsp.
Black Pepper Powder – ¼ tsp.
Fennel seeds – 1 ½ tsp.
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp.
Red chilli powder – 2 tbsp.
Coriander Powder – 2 tbsp.
Coconut Bits – ¾ cup
Vinegar – 1 tbsp.
Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp. (optional)
Coconut Oil – 2 tbsp.
Curry Leaves – 2 sprigs
Salt – to taste
Water – 1 cup
How to Make Mutton Chukka / Sukka:
Wash and cut mutton in to small pieces, drain it. Dry roast Cinnamon, Cloves, Cardamom, Black Pepper Corns and Fennel Seeds and allow it to cool. Crush in mortar and pestle or in a blender to a coarse mixture.
In a mixing bowl take the ground spices, Salt, Vinegar and 1 tbsp. of Ginger Garlic Paste, 1/4 tsp. Turmeric Powder, 1 tbsp. Chilli Powder and 1 tbsp. Coriander Powder. Add Mutton and mix well to coat evenly. Cover the bowl and keep it in the refrigerator to marinate for minimum one hour. After one hour, take the mutton from the fridge and transfer it in to a pressure cooker. Add 1 cup of water to this. Pressure cook mutton on high heat for one or two whistles. Reduce the flame to simmer and cook for ten minutes or till it becomes tender. Switch off the stove. When the pressure is fully released, open the lid and keep it aside.
In another burner, heat Coconut Oil in a pan. Add Coconut Bits. Sauté it and fry it till golden brown. Add the Green Chilli and give it a mix. Next add the sliced Onion and Salt. Sauté it until onion turns translucent. Now add the remaining 1 tbsp. ginger-garlic paste and sauté well. Next add Curry Leaves. In between, separate the mutton pieces in the bressure cooker with a slotted spoon. Reduce the flame and add ½ tsp. Turmeric Powder and 1 tbsp. Chilli Powder, 1 tbsp. Coriander Powder and sauté well till the masala is cooked well and oil start to appear on sides of the pan. You will get a nice aroma at this stage. . Next, simmer the meat gravy in the pressure cooker until it becomes semi thick or until most of the water evaporates. Dump this into the onion and masala mixture and let it shallow fry over medium flame. Keep sautéing it till mutton pieces are well coated with masala. It will take 3 to 5 minutes.
Lower the heat and drizzle a little more coconut oil as you are going to fry the meat further. It starts taking a light blackish or dark brown colour and soft and tender when you keep on sautéing it. Add the Lemon Juice (optional) and mix well. It will look moist and succulent. I personally don`t like them too dry. Turn off the heat and remove it from the stove immediately. Add ½ tsp. Black Pepper Powder to this and mix well. Keep it closed for 10 minutes.
It goes well with Chappathi, Rice, Appam, Curd Rice, Coconut Milk Rice, Ghee Rice / Ney Choru or Chicken Biriyani and Breads like Dinner Rolls, Homemade White Bread or any roti varieties like Mooli Paratha etc. Serve hot and enjoy..
My Recipe Notes on Mutton Pepper Fry:
1. It is important to remove the fat content in mutton. To avoid odour of mutton, wash it with few drops of Vinegar or lemon juice or with 2 pieces of cocum / kudampuli (tamarind).
2. About the ingredients used in this recipe – You can use Lemon Juice instead of Vinegar. Using Coconut Oil gives authentic taste to the dish. Instead of Vinegar you can use yogurt and use it along with other ingredients to marinate mutton. Shallots can be substituted with Big onions. But using shallots gives an amazing taste. Coconut bits / Thenga kothu is a must for this dish. Be careful while adding salt. We have already added salt for marinating. I have used whole spices, but Homemade Garam Masala Powder goes a long way and adds the special touch to the dish.
3. You may adjust the spiciness by increasing or cutting down amount of chilli powder, green chilli and black pepper and as per your tolerance level.
4. Overnight marination of mutton in refrigerator makes it juicier and flavourful. But here I did it for 1 hour and not overnight.
5. Pressure cooking time depends on the type of meat and pressure cooker you use. Matured meat needs one or two whistles more.
6. Using water while pressure cooking mutton should be very careful. It of course depends on the quantity of mutton. I have used just 1 cup of water. Mutton oozes out enough water.
7. At the end of cooking mutton in the pressure cooker, there should be at least ½ cup of liquid remaining in the mutton.
If you found more water in the pressure cooked mutton, just follow the same procedure but it might take some time for water to evaporate.
8. While roasting mutton in the pan, keep stirring or else it might get burnt or get stuck to the pan.
9. This Mutton Roast will get a darker shade once it rests.
10. Adding roasted Cashews would give the mutton fry an amazing taste. If you want to add cashews, add it before adding lemon juice towards the end.
11. Increase or decrease the roasting time depending on the kind of mutton, whether it’s too soft or hard. At this stage take care to prevent it from burning. Use Non-Stick pan preferably for cooking in the second stage.
12. You can replace mutton with lamb and can follow the same procedure.
Happy Christmas 2018 to you all in advance..
Please Subscribe to our Our YouTube Channel, ‘Seenas Food Basket’.
To get all the latest updates, connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. It will keep us motivated.
You have an option to add your Comment on our website. Just go to the recipe page and scroll down. You can see the space provided there to comment. Pls. add your feedback there both, positive and negative.
Hope you liked our Recipes with its step by step explanation and the ‘TIPS’ and ‘RECIPE NOTES’. Pls. support us by SHARING it and clicking on the ‘LIKE’ button of our Facebook Page, so that you will get our latest recipes on your news feed without missing them.
Try out this and let us know what you think.. We love to see your creations. So, when you try out this recipe, take a picture and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ആട്ടിറച്ചി വരട്ട് / ആട്ടിറച്ചി വരട്ടിയത് / മട്ടൻ വരട്ട് / കേരള മട്ടൻ പെപ്പർ ഫ്രൈ റെസിപ്പി / Mutton Varattiyathu / /Attirachi Varattiyathu / Non Veg Side Dish Recipes / How to Make Mutton Chukka / Varutha Aattu Curry / Goat Meat Fry / Lamb Dry Fry / Sukka Gosht / Mutton Varuval / Mutton Roast / Mutton Roast Kerala Style.
Kerala Mutton Pepper Fry.
Kerala Mutton Fry is a treat to any non-vegetarian food lover. The marinated mutton is first pressure cooked and then stir fried in Coconut Oil with onions, essential spices and a ground masala.