Fermented Rice Pancakes / Kerala Style Vellayappam Recipe / Kallappam Recipe / Appam Recipe / Christmas Special Vellayappam / Easter Special Vellayappam / Kerala Breakfast Recipe Vellayappam
Here is another breakfast item from Kerala, Vellayappam or known by another name Kalllappam. It is a Kerala delicacy. This is very similar to Kerala Palappam recipe which is having crispy brown thin edges and fluffy sponge middle area. The difference between the two is the addition of shallots, cumin seeds in Vellayappam. Palappam has a lace border other than vellayappam which is having a round shape thick border. We make palappam in an Appachatti or Appam pan whereas Vellayappam we make on a flat thava or a pan.
I love to make Vellappam more than Palappam, because of its cumin and shallots flavor and can easily make two or three Vellayappams at a time on a flat thava other than Palappam.
The traditional way of making Vellayappam is by mixing rice flour with coconut milk, kurukku (kappi kachiyathu) and kallu /toddy.
This method is a bit tedious one and above that availability of toddy is so difficult now a days..
Preparation Time: 10 minutes + soaking time (6 hours)
Cooking time – 20 minutes
Serves – many
Ingredients for Vellayappam:
Raw Ric / Pachari – 2 cups
Cooked rice – 4 tbsp. heaped
Grated Coconut – 1 ½ cups
Shallots / kunjulli – 5
Cumin seeds / jeerakam – 2 tsp.
Yeast – 1 ½ tsp.
Sugar – 3 tbsp.
Salt – a pinch
Oil – as needed
Coconut water or plain water – as needed
How to Make Vellayappam:
Wash and soak rice in water for minimum 6 hours. Grind this with all other ingredients and the soaked water or coconut water to a smooth batter. It should be thinner than the dosa batter. It should not be watery. Keep this batter aside covered with a lid overnight or minimum for 8 hours to ferment.
Now heat a thava / nonstick flat pan on medium heat. Pour a ladle full of batter and spread it slightly with the back side of the ladle in a circular shape. After one or two minutes, take the lid off and flip it over and cook the other side for another one minute.
Serve hot with any Non Veg and veg gravies lke, Chicken Stew, Fish Molee, Vegetable Stew, Black Pepper Chicken Roast, Chettinad Chicken Curry, Mutton Curry, Nadan Beef Curry,Nadan Egg Roast, Nadan Beef Ularthiyathu, Kerala Kadala Curry etc..
My Recipe Notes and Tips on Vellayappam:
1. How to make Kappy Kachuka or Kurukku? – Those who like to make Vellayappam by using Kappi Kachiyathu, follow this method – Take a pan and add two cups of water. Add half a cup of rice flour OR 1 1/2 tbsp. Semolina and 1 teaspoon of sugar to this. Bring it to boil by stirring it continuously without formimg lumps on low medium flame, until you get a thick paste. Now it is done. Allow it to cool before mixing it with the other ingredients.
2. I have used Instant yeast. Whether it is Instant yeast or active dry yeast, you can grind it along with all other ingredients in a grinder or in a mixer.
3. Adding coconut water is completely optional.
4. If your batter is so thick, you can dilute it by adding ¼ to ½ (depends) cup of milk.
5. The bowl that you are using to keep the batter for fermentation should be big enough to hold the fermented batter, as it doubles in volume while fermenting.
6. If you are using an iron skillet for making Vellayappam, spread little oil on the pan each time you make.
7. Adjust the sugar as per your taste buds.
You have an option to add your Comment on our website. Just go to the recipe page and scroll down. You can see the space provided there to comment. Pls. add your feedback there both, positive and negative.
Hope you liked our Recipes with its step by step explanation and the ‘TIPS’ and ‘RECIPE NOTES’. Pls. support us by SHARING it and clicking on the ‘LIKE’ button of our Facebook Page, so that you will get our latest recipes on your news feed without missing them.
Try out this and let us know what you think.. We love to see your creations. So, when you try out this recipe, take a picture and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kerala Vellayappam Recipe / Kerala Appam Recipe / Kerala Palappam Recipe / Kerala Syrian Christian Breakfast Recipes / Traditional Kerala Btreakfast Recipes, Indian Breakfast Recipes / How to Make Vellayappam / How to Make Kallappam / Kerala Christmas Recipes / Appam Recipe / Vellayappam with Ground Coconut Recipe / Kerala Easter Recipe / Kerala Christmas Recipes / South Indian Breakfast Recipes / കേരള വെള്ളയപ്പം റെസിപ്പി / കള്ളപ്പം റെസിപ്പി.
how to make Indian breakfast, traditional kerala breakfast recipes, Indian breakfast recipes, south indian breakfast recipes, popular south indian breakfast recipes, how to make traditional Indian style breakfast recipe, how to make kallappam, how to make vellayappam, how to make vattayappam, Kallappam, veleyappam, velleppam, Easter, Christmas Kerala special recipe, dishes, appam with ground coconut, Traditional Kerala Vattayappam Recipe.
A perfect South Indian / Kerala syrian christian breakfast dish made with rice flour and coconut. It is a fermented rice pancake, a must for Christmas & Easter.