Simple Dal Curry / Parippu Thalichathu.
Dal Moloshyam is a very simple and easy to make dal dish. We Keralites make this dish once in a while especially when there are no veggies or non-veg left in the refrigerator. The way this dish is cooked varies from district to district of Kerala. Adding Tamarind extract or Tomato or both is entirely up to you. People make Mulakushyam/Moloshyam with spinach, toor dal and ash gourd. It is a very popular dish in most parts of India. It is a very simple and easy Dal curry / Parippu Curry.
There are splendid health benefits for this Dal. It is a power house of nutrients, rich in fibre, proteins, and vitamins. It brings in rich protein to the vegetarians.
For getting plenty Dal Recipes, Click Here.
Lentils always have been and always will be the comfort food, which provide you load of proteins. It is a staple food of India. Each parts of India have its own version of cooking each kind of dal. The recipe calls for all those basic ingredients and probably you may have these in your pantry.
This one is a very inviting dish you can make on a very tiring day with items that are available in your own pantry. You can include this as part of your growing diet. I have to admit that I simply love this Dal Molosyum. We had an incredible and delicious meal with steaming Rice. It goes well with Chappathi too.
Ingredients Required for Parippu Moloshyam:
Toor dal – 1 cup
Savala / Big Onion – 1
Tomatoes – 2 medium
Tamarind – 1 gooseberry size
Shallots / cheriya ulli –
Garlic – 2 cloves
Green Chilli – 2, slit
Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp.
Chilli Powder – 1 tsp.
Tamarind – 1 gooseberry size
Salt – to taste.
Coconut Oil – 2 tbsp.
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp.
Shallots – 3
Dry Red Chillies – 2
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig.
How to Make Dal Moloshyam:
Wash and soak Toor Dal for minimum for 30 minutes. Soak Tamarind in ½ cup of water and take the extract. Keep it aside. Chop Onion, Tomatoes and Green Chillies and keep it ready. In a mortar and pestle, crush Shallots, Dry Red Chillies and Garlic and set it aside.
In a pressure cooker, cook Toor Dal, chopped Tomatoes, Green Chillies and Onion by adding the required amount of water, Salt and Turmeric Powder till it’s done. Open the pressure cooker when the pressure fully releases and add the tamarind extract. Mix well and let it come to a boil.
In another small pan, pour the Coconut Oil and crackle Mustard Seeds. Add the crushed garlic, dry red chillies and shallots to this and sauté it till raw smell goes off and shallots turns golden in colour. Add the Red Chilli Powder and sauté it. Add Curry Leaves and sauté it. Pour this seasoning over the cooked Dal and mix well. Do the salt check and add if it requires more.
Your Dal Moloshyam is now ready to be served. Serve hot along with Rice and sides.
My Recipe Notes on Parippu Moloshyum:
1. The quantity of water and time required for cooking for different lentils vary. Keep that in mind while cooking dal. Ideally one whistle would be sufficient for the soaked toor dal to get it cooked.
2. For a speedy process, you can cook dal, tomato and onion ready in advance and refrigerate it. Before serving, heat the dal and then do the tempering.
3. Adjust the consistency of the dal as per your liking. After adding tamarind remember to boil it once again. If it is too thin, then let it boil for some more time till it thickens.
4. All lentils have to be soaked minimum for 30 minutes which make it cook fast.
5. You can cook Toor dal in an open pan too as an alternative to pressure cooking. In that case, add the lentils with enough water in a pan with salt and turmeric powder. Cook it on a medium heat. When water gets reduced, you can add boiled water and cook it till it gets soft.
6. Tempering adds lot of flavour and aroma to the dal.
7. Toor Dal will get double in size while soaking.
8. If you add shallots or pearl onions while cooking dal in the pressure cooker instead of big onion, the curry will be tastier.
9. For getting the curry to be more reddish, add 1 tsp additional Kashmiri chilly powder, in that case avoid using green chillies.
10. Adjust the liquid accordingly while cooking, because the gravy tends to thicken after some time.
11. It is better to be served on the same day, but it lasts in the fridge for a couple of days.
Happy Cooking.. Cheers.. Seena.
Please Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel, ‘Seenas Food Basket’.
You have an option to add your Comment on our website. Just go to the recipe page and scroll down. You can see the space provided there to comment. Pls. add your feedback there both, positive and negative.
Hope you liked our Recipes with its step by step explanation and the ‘TIPS’ and ‘RECIPE NOTES’. Pls. support us by SHARING it and clicking on the ‘LIKE’ button of our Facebook Page, so that you will get our latest recipes on your news feed without missing them.
Try out this and let us know what you think.. We love to see your creations. So, when you try out this recipe, take a picture and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ദാൽ മോളോഷ്യം റെസിപ്പി / പരിപ്പ് മൊളോഷ്യം റെസിപ്പി.
Dal Moloshyam / Parippu Moloshyam.
Dal Moloshyam is a side dish with rice. Dal is cooked with tomato, onion, green chilli, salt, and garlic and seasoned with crushed mustard and dry red chillies.