Punjabi Shahi Paneer Recipe with Cashew Nut Based Gravy / Restaurant Style Shahi Paneer Recipe / Indian Shahi Paneer Recipe / Easy and Quick Shahi Paneer Recipe / Punjabi Paneer ki Sabji Recipe / How to Make Restaurant Style Shahi Paneer at Home.
Paneer is cooked in different ways. Shahi means royal. Shahi Paneer is a North Indian or precisely it is Punjabs’ delicacy. It is having rich gravy made up of cashew paste, yogurt and cream. Adding tomatoes and Kashmiri chilli powder give it a mild reddish colour. This recipe has been inspired from Mughalai one. Adding Kasoori Methi towards the end makes the dish so aromatic and flavourful.
Personally speaking, I love all kinds of paneer dishes and snacks in whatever form it appears in front of me. At the same time Reji is not a fan of Paneer.
Shahi Paneer recipe is my second recipe in the category of Paneer. The first one was Matar Paneer Masala. I am yet to find out a reason for not posting much Paneer / Cottage Cheese recipes though few Paneer recipes are already prepared and stocked in my laptop folders. This recipe was hidden in drafts section of my laptop. I can recollect it as old as 3 years!! But late to publish it for some or the other reasons.
Almost all Indian breads like roti, kulcha, paratha, naan and rice dish pulao go well with this Paneer Curry. It is an ideal paneer recipe which you can serve for get together or for parties. You can check out super-duper side dishes for Chappathi and Roti from seenasfoodbasket by clicking here.
This Paneer recipe will make your mouth flooded with saliva because of the richness of its gravy and the fragrant herb Kasuri Methi.
I am sure that this Matar Paneer will be loved by everyone in your house. Here comes the complete procedure of making Shahi Paneer.
Ingredients for Shahi Paneer Recipe:
Paneer – 350 grams
Onions – 2 big, finely chopped
Tomatoes – 3, small, finely chopped (optional)
Homemade Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp.
Green chillies paste – of 3
Black Cardamom – 1
Green Cardamom – 2
Chilli powder – ½ tsp.
Cashew nuts – 3 tbsp.
Cream – ½ cup
Kasoori methi – 1 tsp. (dry roasted and crushed with hands)
Salt – to taste
Oil -1 ½ tbsp. or as required
Ghee- 1 ½ tbsp.
How to Make Indian Shahi Paneer:
Soak Cashew nuts in ¼ cup of warm milk minimum for fifteen minutes and make a paste with milk. Keep it aside.
Heat oil in a pan. Once it is hot, sauté green cardamom and black cardamom till fragrant. When they start to splutter, add the chopped onions and sauté till they turn translucent. Add the Homemade Ginger Garlic Paste and green chillies paste. Sauté them for a while. Add the tomatoes and mix well. Cover and cook till tomatoes turn soft. Switch off the heat.
When it is completely cold, puree the tomato-onion mixture to a fine paste.
Heat a pan and add a teaspoon of Ghee. Then add the chilli powder and stir for a few seconds. Add the ground tomato-onion mixture followed by cashew paste and stir well for a couple of minutes. Add the beaten yogurt, salt and cream. Mix well. Add in the paneer cubes and mix it gently. Let it simmer for a couple of minutes on low medium flame. Sprinkle the crushed kasoori methi and mix it slowly.
Switch off the flame and let it rest for ten to fifteen minutes. Then transfer it to a serving dish. Garnish with Coriander leaves and serve it with Indian Breads like Naan, Chappathi etc.
My Recipe Notes on Shahi Paneer Recipe:
1. Cut Paneer into nice cubes. You can make your own paneer at home or can buy it from Indian stores. While soaking Paneer in milk add 2 or 3 strands of Saffron which gives a wonderful flavour to the dish.
2. I have used uncooked Paneer directly for this recipe as that’s the authentic way of doing it. But shallow frying also works here. It’s your choice to shallow fry it or not. Shallow frying will make the taste a bit different.
3. No need to add water while blending onion and tomato paste.
4. After adding the paneer cubes mix it carefully as these cubes tend to break. The Paneer recipes which call for shallow frying paneer makes the paneer little firm, so it won’t break.
5. Adding Cashew paste or almond paste or both is a must for this recipe. So do not skip it.
6. Do not use Kashmiri Chilli Powder as it makes the dish reddish. Typically this paneer recipe is yellow in colour.
7. Adjust the spices as per your preferences.
8. The consistency of this gravy depends on the thickness you desire.
9. Adding Kasuri Methi (Fenugreek Seeds Powder) gives a buttery flavour to the dish.
Happy Cooking.. Cheers.. Seena.
Please Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel, ‘Seenas Food Basket’.
You have an option to add your Comment on our website. Just go to the recipe page and scroll down. You can see the space provided there to comment. Pls. add your feedback there both, positive and negative.
Hope you liked our Recipes with its step by step explanation and the ‘TIPS’ and ‘RECIPE NOTES’. Pls. support us by SHARING it and clicking on the ‘LIKE’ button of our Facebook Page, so that you will get our latest recipes on your news feed without missing them.
Try out this and let us know what you think.. We love to see your creations. So, when you try out this recipe, take a picture and email it to email@example.com.
ഷാഹി പനീർ റെസിപ്പി.
How to make Shahi Paneer in rich gravy of cashew paste, yogurt and cream with the base of Indian Spices and tomatoes.