Egg Stew Recipe/ How to Make Egg Stew / Kerala Egg Ishtu Recipe / Kerala Style Egg Stew Recipe / Egg in Coconut Milk / Mutta Ishtu
Egg stew is a dish you can see in almost all cuisines with slight variation the cooking process and the ingredients used. The best suitable dish which goes with this egg stew is Vellayappam or Kallappam or Idiyappam Palappam or Appam .
Back home, this is one of the stew dishes we can expect on Sundays after the church service. We found it so tasty when we come home so hungry from church. The more we get late from the church the more we get hungry.. So my mamma’s egg stew was so tasty all those years.. If you don’t have time to make the main dish which goes well with this stew, there is a wonderful idea to grab a loaf of bread from the shop in advance!! And yep, the main dish is ready.. Seriously..
Generally speaking, stew can be made in different versions, with many common ingredients that we see in Chicken Stew, Potato Stew, Vegetable Stew, Fish Molee , Beef Stew or Mutton Stew etc.,. We Keralites always would have side dishes for our breakfast. Egg is one of the common items we always find in our refrigerator. So, when you are planning to make a quick side dish, this would be an ideal one. Most of the other ingredients used in this dish also are common and easily accessible to the one in our kitchen.
Here, onion, green chillies, ginger and garlic and tomatoes are sautéed in oil along with some whole spices. Then besides these ingredients, eggs too are simmered in coconut milk. Finally we do the seasoning of this Egg Curry with mustard seeds, shallots, red chilly and curry leaves in oil. Now the Egg Curry or Egg Stew is ready..
So here we go..
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Servings – 6
Recipe Type: Side Dish
Ingredients for making Egg Stew:
Hard Boiled Eggs, cut it into halves – 6
Coconut Milk – 1 ½ cups
Big Onion / Savala – 2 big, finely sliced
Tomato – 4 small,
Green chilli ( slit lengthwise) – 3
Homemade Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp.
Cinnamaon/ Patta – 1 inch
Cardamom / Elakka– 1
Cloves/ Grambu – 3
Bay Leaf / Vayana Ila – 1
Fennel Seeds / Perum Jeerakam– 1 tsp.
Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp.
Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp.
Coconut Oil – 2 tbsp.
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp. Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Salt – to taste
Water – 1 ½ cups
How to Make Egg Stew: / Mutta Ishtu:
Boil the eggs by adding little salt until done. When it is cold enough to handle, peel the shells, slit it or cut it in the desired shapes. Keep it aside.
Melt coconut oil in the pan on medium high. Add in whole spices and sauté it. Next add Fennel seeds. After few seconds, add in Onion and little salt. Sauté it until onion turns translucent. Now add the ginger garlic paste. Sauté for 2 minutes. Next add the slit green chillies and again sauté it for 0ne minute. Next add the sliced tomatoes. Sauté again.
Now add turmeric powder and coriander powder. Add salt too. Mix it and add in little oil now. Sauté it well for a couple of minutes. Add 2 cups of water and let it come to a boil. (Refer My Recipe Notes below). Now add the coconut milk and stir it slowly until everything is incorporated well. Reduce the flame to lowest and let it come to a boil or till the gravy becomes thick. When this stew is at your desired taste, add in half sliced boiled eggs. Let it simmer a bit.
Now do the seasoning. Take another small pan. Add 1 tbsp. oil. When it is hot, add mustard seeds. Next add the sliced shallots. When shallots turn brown in colour, add the curry leaves and swich off the stove. Pour this seasoning in to the Egg Stew. Set it aside covered for about ten minutes, so the eggs will absorb the flavour.
Veg version of this recipe is Kerala Vegetable Stew.
My Recipe Notes on Egg Stew / Mutta Ishttu:
2. While sautéing veggies add little more oil, if it is required.
3. You can use Homemade Garam Masala Powder instead of the whole spices. Add 1/2 tsp. of it• I used store bought Tinned Coconut Milk. It was thick, so I added it after adding little water in the gravy and waited for it to come for a boil. If you are using tinned coconut milk, add ¼ to ½ cup luke warm water to the coconut milk and mix it.
4. If you are using Coconut Powder, you need about 5 tbsp. coconut milk powder and 1 ½ cups of Luke warm water. Mix well and your coconut milk is ready.
5. The traditional recipe calls for the use of too much of water, so you can increase the amount of water used for making coconut milk. 6 cups of water is sufficient. Check the consistency level of the gravy that suits your desire, before removing from the stove.
7. Green Chillies quantity you can adjust according to your tolerance level.
8. You can reduce the number of Tomatoes and add 1 tsp. Vinegar instead of that.
9. You can reduce the number of green chilli by adding ½ tsp. Black Pepper Powder.
10. Be careful after adding coconut milk. Just a boil is enough. Switch off the flame, remove from the stove and keep aside.
11. Be careful while stirring the gravy after adding eggs. If you have already slit eggs, the egg yolk may get dissolved in the gravy.
12. You can add ½ tsp. chopped ginger while doing seasoning to enhance the taste.
Pictorial / Stage wise Pictures of Egg Stew..
Please Subscribe to our Our YouTube Channel, ‘Seenas Food Basket’.
You have an option to add your Comment on our website. Just go to the recipe page and scroll down. You can see the space provided there to comment. Pls. add your feedback there both, positive and negative.
Hope you liked our Recipes with its step by step explanation and the ‘TIPS’ and ‘RECIPE NOTES’. Pls. support us by SHARING it and clicking on the ‘LIKE’ button of our Facebook Page, so that you will get our latest recipes on your news feed without missing them.
Try out this and let us know what you think.. We love to see your creations. So, when you try out this recipe, take a picture and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
എഗ്ഗ് സ്റ്റൂ റെസിപ്പി.
Egg Stew / Egg in Coconut Milk / Kerala Mutta Ishtu