Fresh Spices and Herbs
It took me TWO whole days to arrange everything for taking this sho of Fresh Spices and Herbs!! First I arranged everything on one Saturday, and then I found out that curry leaves and coriander leaves were not that fresh, and so thought of arranging it once again after getting those fresh bunches... I had to remove those Fresh Spices and Herbs from the table on that day itself, as it was my kitchen table and we had to use that table till we would get the fresh bunches of curry leaves and coriander leaves! The next day itself My hubby brought the fresh curry leaves and coriander leaves.. Then I re arranged it.. Arranging Fresh Spices and Herbs was a tiresome work of course.. But the satisfaction and pleasure I derived out of it was – just one word.. Unimaginable!!
You might have got the impression that I had used the same chilly powders in three bowls, but it’s NOT. One is Paprika powder, another one is normal chilly powder and the third bowl is filled with the Kashmiri chilly powder!!
Using Fresh Spices and Herbs are the essence of cooking healthy and tasty food. Here are some tips to keep them lasting fresh for long while retaining their potency.
(1) Store them in tightly sealed containers in dark place.
(2) Store them away from moisture and do not allow moisture to enter while using. Always use dry spoon.
(3) Avoid keeping the containers near or above wet / hot equipments like sink or dish washer, refrigerator, stove etc. Do store in a cupboard or drawer.
(4) To prevent steam moisture from entering the container, avoid sprinkling directly from the container to the steaming pot.
(5) It is always better to grind whole spices just prior using. Dry roasting whole spices in a skillet in medium heat before grinding without burning will make it easier to grind and bring out more flavour.
In a nutshell, Fresh Spices and Herbs should be kept in a place away from heat, moisture and light. Spices do not get spoiled, but they do lose their strength.
Hi there, I am Seena Koshy, a teacher by profession, a triple Master’s Degree Holder by qualification, a Food Blogger, a passionate Food Photographer, whose ultimate pleasure lies in cooking. My passion for food is portrayed in my recipes which are tested in my kitchen and tasted by my family. I love to spend quality time in experimenting and cooking. Thank you for stopping by our food blog, where you can find well-crafted recipes.Read More..